Chairperson + 10-15 Members needed!
The purpose of the Advocacy Committee is to establish self-advocacy programs for members with Ds. The primary focus will be:
-Form a Government Affairs Committee (GAC) recognized by the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) in order to work on key policy objectives across the lifespan of individuals with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities. The goal is to join forces with NDSS to achieve positive systems change for individuals with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities at the state and local levels of government. In order to be recognized by the NDSS, the following criteria must be met:
1) A significant number of affiliates willing to participate in South Carolina must be generated.
2) All attendees must be interested in helping all individuals with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities through policy and systems change.
3) There must be a commitment to participate in follow-up phone calls after the GAC training.
4) Follow-up involves teleconferences with the NDSS GAC co-chair phone conferences and ongoing email or phone consultation, as needed.
5) There must be an agreement to share equitably the costs for GAC training with NDSS plus hosting a GAC Leadership Conference.